Photos from the Sholayar Hydro Electric power project premises. Some technical details on the dam along with the name list of dams in Kerala state.Sholayar is one of the Dams which is very near to Kerala-Tamilnadu borders. Sholayar dam projects are built along the river Chalakkudy which orginates from the Western Ghats. Two Sholayar named dams are there, one in Tamilnadu and the other in Kerala. Kerala's Sholayar is commonly known locally as Chalakkudy Dam.
The dam is in the dense forest and the scenic view of the calm reservoir along with the dense rain forests of the western Ghats attracts anybody who passes through the highway connecting Chalakkudy town with Tamilnadu. Sholayar is 65 Kms from Chalakkudy. Along the course, Chalakkudy river forms many waterfalls and rapids and famous waterfalls Athirapally and Vazhachal along with some small waterfalls like Charpa can be viewed on the way from chalakkudy town to sholayar.
The Pen stock pipes of Sholayar or Chalakkudy Dam.The water is taken to the Generator room through these pipes from the reservoir. The green dense rain forest and riparian vegetation covers the whole place and the river banks.
Reservoir of the Chalakkudy dam. The entry to the dam and spillway is needs permission and is not a common visiting place. The river Chalakkudy has many dams built like this along its rocky river course and dispute is going on currently in kerala about building one more dam in Athirapally, the Athirapally Hydro Electric Project.
The calmness of this place with the lush green nature around with misty surroundings adds all the ingredients needed for a tourist spot.The place is under Sholayar forest range.Elephants, Hornbills, langurs etc like wildlife along with many endangered species exists in these forests. River Chalakkudy has the largest fish diversity among Indian rivers.
Sholayar Dam Technical Details
Sholayar Dam is built in 1965 in river Chalakkudi. Its a Concreate-Masonry type dam with a max height of 66 metres from deepest foundation. Length of the Chalakkudy dam is 430.60 metres and the reservoir has an area of 8.705 square Kms. Reservoir effective Capacity is 150.20 million cubic metres and the spillway capacity is 1825.00 metre cube per second.
Dams in Kerala
- Banasura Sagar Dam -Wayanadu District
- Malampuzha Dam - Palaghat District- Biggest dam of Kerala
- Chalakkudy Dam or Sholayar- Thrissur District
- Peechi Dam - Thrissur District
- Vazhani dam - Thrissur District
- Mangalam dam - Thrissur District
- Mattupetty Dam - Idukki District
- Kundala dam in Munnar - Idukki District
- Parambikulam Dam - Palakkad District
- Pothundi Dam - Palakkad District
- Walayar Dam - Palakkad District
- Idukki arch dam - Idukki District
- Mullaperiyar Dam - Idukki District
- Malankara Dam - Idukki District
- Neyyar Dam - Thiruvananthapuram District
- Siruvani Dam - Palakkad District
- Meenkara Dam - Palaghad District
- Kanjhirapuzha - Palakkad District
- Chulliyar Dam - Palakkad District
- Jeevana dam -
- Asurankundu Dam - Thrissur District
- Chimmini Dam - Thrissur District
Hydro Electric Projects of Kerala under KSEB
- Pallivasal Hydro Electtic Project- Dams-Kandla,Madupetty River-Palar/Periyar
- Sengulam HEP- Shengulam Dam River-Mudriapuzha/Periyar
- Neriyamangalam HEP- Kallarkutty Dam River-Mudriapuzha/Periyar
- Panniyar HEP- Dams-Ponmudi,Anayirangal Rivers- Panniar/Periyar
- Idukki HEP- Dams- Idukki,Cheruthoni,Kulamavu Rivers- Periyar, Cheruthoni/Periyar, Kilivillithode
- Idukki Augmentation- Dams- Kallar, Erattayar, Azhutha, Vadakkepuzha, Vazhikkadavu Rivers- Perinjankutty/Periyar,Perinjankutty, Periyar..
- ldamalayar HEP- Idamalayar Dam- Rivers-ldamalayar/Periyar
- Lower Periyar HEP- Dam- Lower Periyar- River-Periyar
- Poringalkuttu HEP- Dam-Poringalkuttu- River- Chalakudy
- Sholayar HEP- Dams- Sholayar-Main Dam,Sholayar-Flanking,Sholayar- Saddle Dam River-Chalakudy
- Sabarigiri HEP- Dams-Kakki,Anathodu,Pampa Rivers- Kakki/Pamba, Anathodu/Pamba,Pampa
- Sabarigiri Augmentation- Dams- Upper Moozhiyar, Gavi, Kallar, Meenar I,Meenar II Rivers-Moozhiyar/Pamba,Gavi Ar/Pamba, Kallar/Pamba, Minar/Pamba, Minar/Pamba
- Kakkad HEP- Dams-Veluthodu, Moozhiyar Rivers- Veluthodu/Pamba, Moozhiyar/Pamba
- Kuttiyadi HEP- Dams-Kuttiyadi River-Kuttiyadi
- Kuttiyadi Augmentation- Dams- Kuttiyadi Augn, Kosani Saddle,Near Kottagiri Saddle, Kottagiri Saddle,Kuttiyadi Saddle River- Karamanthodu/Kabani
Pixel Shots-View Photos, Read more..